“The teacher is no longer merely the-one-who-teaches, but one who is himself taught in dialogue with the students, who in turn while being taught also teach. They become jointly responsible for a process in which all grow.” -Paulo Freire
The First Year Success (FYS) Program provides opportunities for MSU Denver students to maximize success in their first year of college through linked courses, active learning, and access to enhanced resources. Suitable both for traditional students and those whose time constraints might not enable them to otherwise immerse themselves in college life, FYS provide students with many benefits designed to enrich their time here, such as a collegial environment, supplemental programming, and enhanced support services designed to promote academic and personal success.
Components of the FYS Program:
- Learning Community Courses - All entering students with 29 credit hours or less will take a set of linked courses in their first and/or second semester. Most courses assigned in learning community cohorts meet General Studies requirements (see course listing for specific details) These linked courses create a sense of community among MSU Denver students, allowing them to experience both the benefits of being part of a large, urban university and the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college.
- Enhanced Academic Support - To support community building and facilitate a deeper understanding of course content, students participate in weekly study groups with other classmates. A supplemental instruction leader (a master student, usually one who has excelled in the specific subject matter at hand) will facilitate these interactive weekly sessions and available to provide assistance where needed. In many math classes, a separate recitation section is led by a math recitation leader (with at least a Bachelor’s degree in the subject) and a math recitation mentor (a trained peer who has successfully completed the course). These recitation sections provide a guided environment for students to work through homework and develop a stronger understanding of course material.
- Student Ambassadors - Successful past participants of the FYS program serve as peer mentors to current students. Student Ambassadors answer questions about the program and provide mentorship and support to learning community participants throughout the first year to provide appropriate campus resources and inform students about program events and campus activities. Their mission is to “…establish mentoring relationships in order to connect first year students to a diverse, supportive, and welcoming community to ensure a successful transition into MSU Denver.”
- New Student Convocation - All freshmen are invited to an exciting welcome program prior to the Fall semester during which they meet peer leaders and other members of their learning community. Each participating student receives a “student success kit” to help them on their way.
- Opportunities for Involvement Outside of Class - from specially designed on-campus co-curricular events to off campus civic engagement projects, you’ll have the chance to connect with each other, MSU Denver, and the world.
- Professors Invested in Your Success - Instructors of FYS courses are provided with resources and professional development opportunities to enhance their ability to provide you with active and engaging learning environments.
Connect with Other Students - Empower Your Education - Grow as Scholars and Leaders
Your Success is Our Success
For more information regarding the First Year Success program, contact the Learning Communities and First Year Success office at 303-352-4195 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit us in the Student Success Building, suite 217.