Sep 30, 2023  
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduation Information

The Office of the Registrar is located in the Student Success Building, Suite 160 (#3). They are responsible for making approved degree exceptions to students’ Degree Progress reports, performing final degree checks, preparing for the fall and spring commencement ceremonies, and distributing diplomas.

Degree Progress Report

The Degree Progress Report is an advising tool to be used by students and their advisors throughout the students’ academic career at MSU Denver.  Reports can be printed in the student’s major department or via the Student Hub.

Graduation Procedures

Degree-seeking students formally declare their degree candidacy by filing an Application for Graduation with the Office of the Registrar just prior to their anticipated semester of graduation, but no later than the deadline stipulated on the Office of the Registrar’s website. Students who miss the deadline to apply for graduation must apply for a subsequent semester. The Application for Graduation should be filed only by students who intend to complete all degree requirements by the end of the upcoming semester and should be filed in consultation with the student’s academic program. If a student does not complete graduation requirements, another Application for Graduation must be submitted for a subsequent semester.

After submitting the Application for Graduation, students will have their academic records reviewed for completion of all degree requirements. All degree applicants will be notified their graduation status and any discrepancies that exist. Students will be given a deadline by which to explain these discrepancies to the Office of the Registrar. Students will not be eligible to remain a graduation candidate if they do not comply with this deadline. As candidates for graduation, students will receive information about the final steps in the graduation process and the commencement ceremony. Students should ensure that their current address is on file with the Office of the Registrar via the Student Hub.

Graduation Checklist

  • Review the Requirements for All Master Degrees.
  • Review the Academic Policies and Procedures (pertaining to the Degree Progress Report, graduation, diplomas and commencement, and honors and awards).
  • Review your Degree Progress Report with your major department.
  • If necessary, correct any discrepancies on the Degree Progress Report.
  • File an Application for Graduation by the deadline listed in the Academic Calendar .
  • Ensure correct address is on file with the Office of the Registrar.

For a complete graduation checklist and details refer to the Office of the Registrar website, Select “Student” and “Graduation.”

Commencement Ceremony

Commencement ceremonies are held at the end of the fall and spring semesters. Graduates are encouraged to attend one of the two ceremonies. The commencement program lists candidates and degree. Although there is no commencement ceremony in the summer, students can still graduate. Summer candidates are asked to attend the fall commencement ceremony. Their names and degree will appear only in the fall commencement program. Check MSU Denver’s website for complete, up-to-date information about commencement at, or call 303-556-6226.

Diplomas and Transcripts

Diplomas are issued approximately four weeks after the semester ends. Students may pick up their diplomas or make arrangements for them to be mailed. Information will be sent from the Office of the Registrar to graduating students about these arrangements.

Transcripts with the posted degree will also be available approximately four weeks after the semester ends. Students may request transcripts as early as the middle of their last semester and indicate that it is to be held until the degree is posted. Transcripts may be requested in person at the Office of the Registrar, Student Success Building, Suite 160 (#3), by fax at 303-556-3999, or via the web at the Registrar’s homepage under “Students,” then “Transcripts.” Diplomas and transcripts will NOT be issued if money is owed to the University. If you owe any money to the University, please contact the Bursar’s Office, 303-556-6188, to arrange payment.