Jul 13, 2024  
2019-2020 Graduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration and Records

All continuing students in good standing and all applicants accepted to the University are eligible to register each semester.

Students are responsible for ensuring that their address and phone number on file with the University are correct and up-to-date. Address changes may be made in-person with the Office of the Registrar, sent via fax to 303-556-3999, or via the Student Hub.

Information on the registration procedure, registration dates, and student responsibilities and obligations related to registration is available via the Student Hub.

Changes in Registration

Enrolled students may adjust their schedules by dropping and/or adding classes. Students must add or drop classes before the drop deadline. Students must follow proper drop or withdrawal procedures in the event that they do not attend a class. Failure to attend class does not constitute withdrawal. Students who do not officially withdraw or drop their classes will be assessed full tuition and fees.

Drop/refund and withdrawal deadlines are located via the Student Hub on the Student Detail Schedule.

Students who reduce their course load after the drop deadline and before the withdrawal deadline will receive a “W” notation for each course they have dropped. Refer to the withdrawal policy in this catalog under Academic Policies and Procedures .

ALL STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL REGISTRATION TRANSACTIONS. Students are also responsible for following all drop deadlines.

Emergency Withdrawal

Called to Active Military Duty:

The University will assist any student called to active military service with reasonable accommodations. As a primary point-of-contact, students must work with the Veteran and Military Student Services in order to review all options prior to leaving the University. Depending on when in the semester the student is called to duty, they will have different options, including administrative drop, withdrawal, or incomplete.

Veteran and Military Student Services, Tivoli 215, 303-605-0044, veterans@msudenver.edu.

Other Emergency Withdrawal:

Students who must withdraw during a semester due to unforeseen or extenuating circumstances including state or national emergency should see the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will make the final determination for administrative withdrawal on a case-by-case basis. Students who request an administrative withdrawal may also request a tuition refund by filing a Tuition and Fees Appeal through the Office of the Bursar.

Office of the Registrar, Student Success Building, Suite 160 (#3), 303-556-3991, Regquery@msudenver.edu.

Office of the Bursar, Student Success Building, Suite 150 (#4), 303-615-0070.

Falsified Transcripts and Diplomas

Altering, modifying, tampering with, or in any way falsifying an official Metropolitan State University of Denver transcript or diploma is a crime. The University has implemented multiple measures to detect such conduct. To protect the integrity and value of an MSU Denver degree, the Attorney General will vigorously prosecute, through the criminal justice system, those who commit these crimes.

In addition, students found responsible for falsifying an official MSU Denver transcript or diploma will face a University judicial hearing and appropriate sanctions may be imposed, including suspension, dismissal, and loss of credit, which could affect the student’s permanent record.

Definition of Full-time and Half-time Status

The following chart outlines the number of semester hours required to meet full-time and half-time status for fall, spring and summer semesters:

Full-Time 6 or more semester hours
Half-Time 3-5 semester hours
Less than Half-Time 2 semester hours or less

Legitimate Academic Interest to Attend a Course

To attend a class, students must have a legitimate academic interest (e.g., be officially registered, waitlisted, auditing a course, enrolled through CU Denver pooled program, etc.). Individuals may not attend a class if they do not have a legitimate academic interest. Officially registered means that students have been accepted for admission by the University, and that the Course Reference Number (CRN) for the class is entered on the student’s registration record. The deadline to register for a full-semester class is the census date, specified on the Academic Calendar . There are pro-rated deadlines for all other courses outside of the full-semester courses.

Official Transcript (Official Academic Record)

The official transcript is a certified copy of a student’s permanent academic record. It contains the official signature of the registrar and the official seal of the University. Students may order transcripts by logging in via the Student Hub. There may be a delay in request depending on the end of term grading and posting of degrees. Transcripts will only be issued upon written request which should include:

  • Student’s full legal name as recorded while attending MSU Denver;
  • Student’s identification number;
  • Birth date;
  • Last term of attendance;
  • To whom and where the transcripts are to be sent
  • Number of copies desired; and
  • Student signature authorizing the release of records.

Transcripts will be withheld due to indebtedness to the University or for other appropriate reasons. Students who owe money to the University may contact the Office of the Bursar, 303-615-0070, to arrange payment.

Preferred Name

MSU Denver is aware that many of its students use a first name other than their legal name.  As part of being a welcoming and inclusive campus, MSU Denver will implement changes to increase the use of the preferred first name. However, a student’s legal first name will continue to be necessary in certain records and communications; therefore, both the legal first name and preferred name (if desired) will be stored within primary information systems. To initiate the process to include a preferred first name, you must complete the Change of Information form with the Office of the Registrar:  https://msudenver.edu/registrar/studentforms/

Priority Registration

Priority registration is designed to enhance the University’s ability to help students achieve graduation status. The priority registration system allows students who have earned a certain amount of credits to register prior to other students who are further from graduation. Only passing grades and transfer credit are included in this calculation.

Priority registration also accommodates students with special circumstances that impact their ability to access the classes they need to maintain satisfactory progress toward the completion of their degree.

Priority registration is structured as follows:

  • Day 1 : Access Center students, Veteran students w/ VA benefits, tuition assistance, other special circumstances
  • Day 2: Students who have completed/transferred 40 or more credit hours
  • Day 3: Students who have completed/ transferred 31-39 credit hours
  • Day 4: Students who have completed/ transferred 21-30 credit hours
  • Day 5: Students who have completed/ transferred 0-20 credit hours
  • Day 19: Non-degree seeking students

Selective Service Registration Certification

As of July 1, 1993, any male student who fails to register for the Selective Service will be ineligible for federal student aid, according to the Military Service Act (Public Law 97-252).

Colorado Revised Statute 23-5-118 (selective service registration prerequisite to enrollment) requires all males between the ages of 18 and 26 to certify that they have registered with Selective Service before enrolling in any state-supported institution in Colorado. Any male who has not registered by his 26th birthday will be ineligible to enroll at the University. A Selective Service registration hold will be placed on the student’s account until the student registers with Selective Service at sss.gov and provides a Selective Service Certification Form to the Office of the Registrar.



Page Revised July 19, 2019