Dec 07, 2022
Physics Major, B.A. with Secondary Science Teacher Licensure Concentration
Degree seeking candidates who wish to obtain Colorado teacher licensure for Secondary Science Education with a major in Physics must earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree. Included in the requirements for the Physics major with a concentration in Secondary Science teaching is a core curriculum designed to ensure that the Physics education program meets the Colorado Science Licensure Standards and addresses the objectives of the General Science content area examination. The core curriculum adds a firm foundation in Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, and Mathematics. The Colorado Academic Standards are strongly emphasized within the curriculum. The core curriculum is supported by the depth of the major in Physics. Science Licensure candidates must declare their major with the appropriate concentration in Secondary Science Licensure.
Required General Studies Courses
The following courses meet Colorado content standards for teachers and are the first courses to focus on completing. All specifically required courses must be passed with a grade of C- or better.
- Students must satisfy the Written Communication general studies requirement.
- COMM 1010 - Presentational Speaking Credits: 3
- General Studies Quantitative Literacy (met by MTH 1410 - Calculus I or pre-requisites required to gain entrance to Calculus I)
- General Studies Historical (3 credits)*
- General Studies Arts and Humanities (6 credits)*
- General Studies Natural and Physical Sciences (met by additional science content area courses)
- General Studies Social and Behavioral Sciences (met in licensure sequence by EDS 3130 and EDS 3150)
Required General Studies total credits:18-22**
* Included in General Studies courses, students must select one that satisfies the Global Diversity requirement.
** The total will be 22 credits if the student is required to take a pre-requisite course to gain entrance into MTH 1410 - Calculus I.
Physics Major Core Courses
The following are the course requirements for your major. Please track your progress on your major and other graduation requirements and see your Physics advisor regularly. Your physics major should be declared including the Secondary Education Concentration (PHY1). You do not need to declare a minor in Secondary Education. All courses must be passed with a grade of C- or better. These content area courses also factor in to your Content Area GPA for student teaching. See www.msudenver.edu/education for more info.
Additional Courses for Secondary Science Licensure
All the courses in this area are required for Secondary Science Licensure. All courses must be passed with a grade of C- or better.
Foundation and Methods Courses for Secondary Education
All the courses in the this area are required for Secondary Science Licensure. Some course pairs must be taken together; please see an advisor in the School of Education for more detail on recommended sequence. All courses must be passed with a grade of C- or better.
Summary of Requirements
Required General Studies Total
Physics Major Core Total
Additional Content Courses for Secondary Science Licensure Total
Foundation and Methods for Secondary Education Total