Jan 31, 2023
About the Program
The MSU Denver Sport Management major prepares students to work in the growing and competitive field of sport management. Content within the major covers key areas, such as sport facility and event management, sport and social media, governance and management of amateur and professional sport, high school and collegiate athletics administration, and sport promotion and sponsorship.
The MSU Denver Sport Management program is accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA).
- Provide students with a core curriculum that allows students to develop the fundamental skills and knowledge required for successful management within the sport industry.
- Provide real world, hands-on experiences applying management principles and concepts within the sport industry.
- Embrace diversity, ethics, and social responsibility through course offerings and applied experiences.
- Expose students to current technology utilized in the industry and contemporary courses to better prepare them for careers in sport and/or graduate school.
- Provide students with opportunities to network into and within the sport industry and to demonstrate their understanding of current issues and expected professionalism within the industry.
General Degree Requirements
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the four areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- A total of 120 semester hours are required for graduation.
- A grade of C or better is required for each course in this program to count toward the bachelor’s degree. Students should note that programs differ in the minimum grade required.
- A minor is not required for this program.
- SM 4610: Students who have not fulfilled all general education requirements through courses or transfer credit should strongly consider completing these requirements prior to registering for this course.
- Students must have a 2.80 GPA in the major to be eligible for an internship.
- SM 4890 and SM 4891 must be taken concurrently. Students must have completed a minimum of 36 credit hours within the major before they will be allowed to register for SM 4890 and SM 4891.
General Studies Requirements: 33 credits
Students should consult the General Studies Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the General Studies Requirements for degree completion.
- Written Communication (6 credits)
- Oral Communication (3 credits)
- Quantitative Literacy (3 credits)
- Arts and Humanities (6 credits)
- Historical (3 credits)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (6 credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)
- Global Diversity (0 or 3 credits**)
** Students will fulfill the global diversity requirement by taking an approved course within one of the following categories: arts and humanities; historical; natural and physical sciences; or social and behavioral sciences.
Multicultural Requirement: 0 or 3 credits
- Students should consult the Multicultural Graduation Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the Multicultural Requirement for degree completion.
- Many programs include courses that meet this requirement. Students should consult with their advisor to determine what program courses may fulfill this requirement.
Required Courses: 48 credits
Approved Electives: 9 credits
9 credits approved by major advisor
Senior Experience: 3 credits
Summary of Requirements
|General Studies Requirements
|Total for the Sport Management Major, B.A.
Required courses for the major may also count for General Studies and Multicultural requirements, so the total credits listed may be greater than the number required to complete the degree. Therefore, it is important that you work with your advisor to make sure you are meeting requirements for your degree.