Nov 29, 2023
About the Program
The Banking Degree is a Bachelor of Science Program within the College of Business. Banking majors may either pursue a concentration in Compliance or Financial Analysis or complete the major without a concentration by choosing from a set of courses in consultation with an advisor. Students may add an optional International Business Concentration.
Students will receive a broad education in banking and finance, the banking industry, and related regulatory institutions. Our curriculum is driven with purpose to make you a well-rounded, objective, and analytical banking authority with the managerial skills that can help you achieve a long and lucrative career.
General Degree Requirements
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the four areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- A total of 120 semester hours are required for graduation.
- To earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Banking, a student must successfully complete 30 or more credit hours of business coursework at MSU Denver. This 30-hour residency requirement can be met by completing any business courses with the prefix ACC, ACCM, BNK, CIS, ECO, FIN, MGT, MKT, or REL and a course number of at least 2000. A student must complete at least twelve (12) upper-division semester hours in BNK or BNK electives at MSU Denver.
- A grade of “C” or better is required for each major course to count toward the bachelor’s degree. Students should note that programs differ in the minimum grade required.
- A minor is not required for this program.
General Studies: 33 credits
Students should consult the General Studies Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the General Studies Requirements for degree completion. The Department recommends students complete an Arts and Humanities, Historical, or Natural and Physical Science elective that also meets the Global Diversity or Multicultural requirements.
- Written Communication (6 credits)
- Oral Communication (3 credits)
- Quantitative Literacy (3 credits)
- Arts and Humanities (6 credits)
- Historical (3 credits)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (6 credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)
- Global Diversity (0 or 3 credits**)
** Students will fulfill the global diversity requirement by taking an approved course within one of the following categories: Arts and Humanities; Historical; Natural and Physical Sciences; or Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Multicultural Requirement: 0 or 3 credits
Business Core: 36 credits
All business majors require foundation course work in all significant areas of business theory and practice. The following courses are required for all majors in banking. A grade of “C-” or better must be earned in each business core course to have that course count toward the Bachelor of Science degree in Banking. Students should note that programs differ in the minimum grade required.
College of Business Requirements: 15 credits
Banking Major Required Courses: 18 credits
Banking majors must complete the Banking core and a concentration. Banking majors may either pursue a concentration in Compliance or Financial Analysis or complete the major without a concentration by choosing from a set of courses in consultation with an advisor. A minimum grade of “C” is required for courses in the major.
Concentration Options (select one): 12 credits
Compliance Concentration: 12 credits
Financial Analysis Concentration: 12 credits
Banking Major No Concentration: 12 credits
Choose 12 credits from the following courses in consultation with an advisor:
Senior Experience: 3 credits
Summary of Requirements
|General Studies Requirements
||(counted in business core)
|Total for the Banking Major, B.S.
Required courses for the major may also count for General Studies and Multicultural requirements, so the total credits listed may be greater than the number required to complete the degree. Therefore, it is important that you work with your advisor to make sure you are meeting requirements for your degree.