About the Program
The International Business Major offers courses to learn concepts and analytical tools that are required for international business operations. The Bachelor of Science in International Business prepares students with an understanding of global business and knowledge in a functional area of business. Upon graduation, students will be prepared to apply for job positions in companies that are engaged in international trade.
International Business majors will demonstrate knowledge and competence in the areas of:
- Global/International Economics
- International Finance
- Global Management
- International Marketing
The College of Business B.S. programs, including International Business, share a common set of four cross-disciplinary core competencies, knowledge, and skills.
Competency 1: Communication - Business students will be able to:
- 1.1 - Communicate effectively through writing.
- 1.2 - Communicate effectively through speaking.
Competency 2: Business Solutions - Business students will be able to analyze a business situation and recommend effective solutions utilizing:
- 2.1 - appropriate technological frameworks.
- 2.2 - appropriate ethical frameworks.
- 2.3 - appropriate global frameworks.
Competency 3: Technological Agility - Business students will be able to:
- 3.1 - understand the impact of current technology on the business environment.
Competency 4: Core Knowledge - Business students will demonstrate competence in required business topics, including accounting, computer information systems, data analytics, economics, ethics, finance, marketing, management, and business law.
General Degree Requirements
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the four areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- A total of 120 semester hours are required for graduation.
- To earn a Bachelor of Science degree in International Business, a student must successfully complete 30 or more credit hours of business coursework at MSU Denver. This 30-hour residency requirement can be met by completing any business courses with the prefix ACC, ACCM, BNK, BUS, CIS, ECO, FIN, MGT, MKT, and REL and a course number of 2000 or higher. A student must complete at least 12 upper-division semester hours in International Business at MSU Denver.
- In order to graduate, students must maintain a 2.0 average inside the Business Core.
- In order to graduate, a grade of “C-” or better is required for each major course to count toward the bachelor’s degree.
- In order to graduate, a grade of “C-” or better is required in MGT 4950.
- Students should note that programs differ in the minimum grade required.
- A minor is not required for this program.
General Studies Requirements
Students should consult the General Studies Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the General Studies Requirements for degree completion.
- Written Communication (6 credits)
- Oral Communication (3 credits)
- Quantitative Literacy (3 credits)
- Arts and Humanities (6 credits)
- Historical (3 credits)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (6 credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)
- Global Diversity (0 or 3 credits**)
** Students will fulfill the global diversity requirement by taking an approved course within one of the following categories: arts and humanities; historical; natural and physical sciences; or social and behavioral sciences.
Ethnic Studies & Social Justice Requirement: 0 or 3 credits
- Students should consult the Ethnic Studies & Social Justice Graduation Requirement for a list of courses that fulfill the ESSJ Requirement for degree completion.
- Many programs include courses that meet this requirement. Students should consult with their advisor to determine what program courses may fulfill this requirement.
College of Business Additional Requirements: 6-7 credits
Business Core: 45 credits
All business majors require foundation course work in all significant areas of business theory and practice. The following courses are required for all students majoring in International Business. Students must maintain a 2.0 average inside the Business Core. A student cannot register for a business core course until all General Studies requirements in Written Communication, Oral Communication, and Quantitative Literacy are complete.
International Business Required Courses: 15 credits
A grade of C- or better is required for each course in this program (i.e., major courses required, additional requirements, and business focus area requirement) to count toward the bachelor’s degree.
Additional Requirements: 3-5 credits
Maximum of 3 credits of an international-related Internship may apply to the degree and internships require pre-approval. Select one of the following:
Business Focus Area Requirements: 12 credits
International Business majors are required to take a minimum of 12 credit hours of upper-division coursework within one of the eight business disciplines. Four upper-division courses should be selected from one of the following prefixes: ACC, BNK, CIS, ECO, FIN, MGT, MKT or REL.
Senior Experience: 3 credits
Summary of Requirements
|General Studies Requirement
|College of Business Additional Requirements
|Major Required Courses
|Business Focus Area
||(counted in business core)
|Total for the International Business Major, B.S.
Required courses for the major may also count for General Studies and ESSJ requirements, so the total credits listed may be greater than the number required to complete the degree. Therefore, it is important that you work with your advisor to make sure you are meeting requirements for your degree.
Program Modified June 29, 2023