Sep 26, 2023
About the Program
Students complete an extended major in Journalism and Media Production by completing the 12-credit hour department core, the requirements for any one major within the department, an approved Senior Experience course in the department, plus enough additional credit hours in the department to total at least 66 credit hours.
General Degree Requirements
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the four areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- A total of 120 semester hours are required for graduation.
- A grade of C- or better is required for each course in this program to count toward the bachelor’s degree. Students should note that programs differ in the minimum grade required.
- A minor is not required for this program.
General Studies Requirements: 33 credits
Students should consult the General Studies Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the General Studies Requirements for degree completion.
- Written Communication (6 credits)
- Oral Communication (3 credits)
- Quantitative Literacy (3 credits)
- Arts and Humanities (6 credits)
- Historical (3 credits)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (6 credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)
- Global Diversity (0 or 3 credits**)
** Students will fulfill the global diversity requirement by taking an approved course within one of the following categories: arts and humanities; historical; natural and physical sciences; or social and behavioral sciences.
Ethnic Studies & Social Justice Requirement: 0 or 3 credits
- Students should consult the Ethnic Studies & Social Justice Graduation Requirement for a list of courses that fulfill the ESSJ Requirement for degree completion.
- Many programs include courses that meet this requirement. Students should consult with their advisor to determine what program courses may fulfill this requirement.
Department Core: 12 credits
Major Requirements: 25-31 credits
Students complete the major requirements in one of the following areas:
The credit hour requirements for each major, in addition to the department core, varies. Please confer with an academic adviser.
Additional Required Courses: 20-26 credits
In addition to completing the department core and one of the major requirements, the student then completes the extended major with other course work within the department. A student must complete at least 66 credit hours within the department to attain the extended major. A student with an extended major does not have to complete a minor.
Senior Experience: 3 credits
Students complete one of these two courses, depending on the selection program to serve as the concentration:
Summary of Requirements
|General Studies Requirements
|Extended Major Option
|Additional Required Courses
||(counted in concentration)
|Total for the Extended Major in Journalism and Media Production, B.S.
Required courses for the major may also count for General Studies and ESSJ requirements, so the total credits listed may be greater than the number required to complete the degree. Therefore, it is important that you work with your advisor to make sure you are meeting requirements for your degree.