Jul 16, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration and Records

All continuing students in good standing and all applicants accepted to MSU Denver are eligible to register each semester.

Students are responsible for ensuring that their address and phone number on file with the University are correct and up-to-date. Address changes may be made in-person with the Office of the Registrar, by fax to 303-556-3999, or through the Student Hub, msudenver.edu/studenthub.

Information on the registration procedure, registration dates, and student responsibilities and obligations related to registration is available at the Student Hub, msudenver.edu/studenthub.

For additional information regarding registration and records, click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Changes in Registration

Enrolled students may adjust their schedules by dropping and/or adding classes. Students must add or drop classes before the drop deadline (census date). It is the student’s responsibility to follow proper drop or withdrawal procedures in the event that he or she does not attend a class. Failure to attend class does not constitute an automatic drop or withdrawal. Students who do not officially drop their classes will be assessed full tuition and fees.

Drop, refund and withdrawal deadlines are located on the Student Detail Schedule via the Student Hub.

Students who reduce their course load after the drop deadline and before the withdrawal deadline will receive a “W” notation for each course from which they have withdrawn. Refer to the withdrawal notation policy in the university catalog under Academic Policies and Procedures .

ALL STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL REGISTRATION TRANSACTIONS. Students are also responsible for following all drop and withdrawal deadlines.

College Opportunity Fund (COF)

Every eligible Colorado resident who will be a student must apply for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) in order to authorize payment of the state’s contribution toward tuition at any public college or university in the State of Colorado, including Metropolitan State University of Denver.

These funds, called “stipends,” will be applied to a student’s college account each semester and are available for up to 145 credit hours of college-level, undergraduate study. The actual value of the stipend will be determined by the Colorado Legislature each year.
Students must apply online for the stipend at CollegeInColorado.org (select College Opportunity Fund). Students must authorize the use of the stipend each semester during registration in the Student Hub, msudenver.edu/studenthub.

The COF application requires students to submit their legal name, date of birth, Social Security Number, and Driver’s License Number only once in a student’s lifetime. The application must be completed before the stipend can be credited to a student’s tuition and fee bill.

Students who do not apply for and/or authorize COF will not be eligible for the stipend and will be responsible for paying the total in-state tuition - both the student’s share and the state’s share.

Eligibility: In-state, undergraduate students will be eligible for the stipend, up to 145 credit hours of college-level, undergraduate study, regardless of age, income or financial aid status. If a student goes over his or her 145-lifetime-credit hour cap, the student may apply for a one-time, one year waiver of up to 30 credits. All waiver requests must have an advisor’s signature and must include a personal statement demonstrating substantial economic hardship, as well as an explanation as to why more than 145 credits is needed in order to obtain the degree.

For more information, visit the University’s Q&A section on COF, msudenver.edu/cof.

Emergency Withdrawal

Students who must withdraw during a semester due to unforeseen or extenuating circumstances, including state or national emergency, should see the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will make the final determination for administrative withdrawal on a case-by-case basis according to the administrative withdrawal policy. Students who request an administrative withdrawal may also request a tuition refund by filing a Tuition and Fees Appeal through the Office of the Bursar.

Office of the Registrar, Student Success Building, Suite 160 (#3), 303-556-3991, Regquery@msudenver.edu.

Office of the Bursar, Student Success Building, Suite 150, 303-615-0070.

Falsified Transcripts and Diplomas

Altering, modifying, tampering with, or in any way falsifying an official Metropolitan State University of Denver transcript or diploma is a crime. The University has implemented multiple measures to detect such conduct. To protect the integrity and value of an MSU Denver degree, the Attorney General will vigorously prosecute, through the criminal justice system, those who commit these crimes.

In addition, students found responsible for falsifying an official MSU Denver transcript or diploma will face a University judicial hearing and appropriate sanctions may be imposed, including suspension, dismissal, and loss of credit, which could affect the student’s permanent record.

Definition of Full-time and Half-time Status

The following number of semester hours required for undergraduate students to meet full-time and half-time status for fall, spring, and summer semesters:




 12 or more semester hours


 9-11 semester hours


 6-8 semester hours

 Less than Half-time

 5 hours or less

To complete a degree in four years or eight semesters, students may need to take at least 15 semester hours per semester.  For financial aid purposes, 12 semester hours is the full-time standard for the summer semester. To be eligible for health insurance coverage, students must be enrolled in nine or more credit hours in the fall or spring semester.

Legitimate Academic Interest to Attend a Course

To attend a class, students must have a legitimate academic interest (e.g., be officially registered, waitlisted, auditing a course, enrolled through CU Denver pooled program, etc.). Individuals may not attend a class if they do not have a legitimate academic interest. Officially registered means that students have been accepted for admission by the University, and that the Course Reference Number (CRN) for the class is entered on the student’s registration record. The deadline to register for a full-semester class is the census date, specified on the Academic Calendar . There are pro-rated deadlines for all other courses outside of the full-term courses. Undergraduate students who qualify for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) and register after the census date will not be eligible to receive the COF stipend.

Military Leave for Students Active or Inactive Duty

Members of the State or National Guard, Reserve, or active United States Military, who are called to active or inactive duty (e.g. drill, annual training) will not be academically penalized for that service. When a military student is notified of being called to duty, the student must notify all instructors and Veteran and Military Student Services.

Students activated may have different options, depending on the time of semester the student is called to duty and length of duty. In consultation with the student’s faculty member, options may include:

  • Completion of any missed work without penalty to their grade provided that satisfactory academic progress is being made,
  • Drop;
  • Withdrawal;
  • Administrative Withdrawal; or
  • Incomplete.

The student is required to present proof of training schedule, official orders or letter from the service member’s unit to Veteran and Military Student Services. Veteran and Military Student Services will then contact each instructor and obtain the requirements for course completion. The requirements will be sent to the student and kept on file.

Veteran and Military Student Services, Tivoli 215, 303-615-0440, veterans@msudenver.edu.

Official Transcripts (Official Academic Record)

The official transcript is a certified copy of the student’s permanent academic record. It contains the official signature of the Registrar and the official seal of the University. Students may order transcripts by logging in to the Student Hub, msudenver.edu/studenthub. Requests may be delayed, depending on end-of-term grading and the posting of degrees. Transcripts will only be issued upon written request, which must include:

  • Student’s full, legal name as recorded while attending MSU Denver;
  • Student’s identification number;
  • Birth date;
  • Last term of attendance;
  • To whom and where the transcripts are to be sent;
  • Number of copies desired; and
  • Student signature authorizing the release of records.

Transcripts will be withheld due to indebtedness to the University or for other appropriate reasons. Students from other institutions taking MSU Denver courses under the state college system or interinstitutional registration programs must request transcripts from their home institution.

Preferred Name

MSU Denver is aware that many of its students use a first name other than their legal name.  As part of being a welcoming and inclusive campus, MSU Denver will implement changes to increase the use of the preferred first name. However, a student’s legal first name will continue to be necessary in certain records and communications; therefore, both the legal first name and preferred name (if desired) will be stored within primary information systems. To initiate the process to include a preferred first name, you must complete the Change of Information form with the Office of the Registrar:  https://msudenver.edu/registrar/studentforms/

Priority Registration

Priority registration is designed to enhance the University’s ability to help students achieve graduation status. The priority registration system allows students who have earned a certain amount of credits to register prior to other students who are further from graduation. Only passing grades and transfer credit are included in this calculation.

Priority registration also accommodates students with special circumstances that impact their ability to access the classes they need to maintain satisfactory progress toward the completion of their degree.

Priority registration is structured as follows:

  1. Graduate students, NCAA, students with disabilities requiring accommodations approved with the Access Center, honors students, and Veteran students who received VA benefits or Tuition Assistance the previous semester.
  2. Seniors
  3. Juniors
  4. Sophomores
  5. Freshmen
  6. Non-degree-seeking students
  7. Newly admitted students

Selective Service Registration Certification

As of July 1, 1993, any male student who fails to register for the Selective Service will be ineligible for federal student aid, according to the Military Service Act (Public Law 97-252).

Colorado Revised Statute 23-5-118 (selective service registration prerequisite to enrollment) requires all males between the ages of 18 and 26 to certify that they have registered with Selective Service before enrolling in any state-supported institution in Colorado. Any male who has not registered by his 26th birthday will be ineligible to enroll at the University. A Selective Service registration hold will be placed on the student’s account until the student registers with Selective Service at sss.gov and provides a Selective Service Certification Form to the Office of the Registrar.

Special Registration

Pooled Registration

MSU Denver and the University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver) have formed a common pool of courses available to students at each institution. Students must register for pooled courses through their home institution.

MSU Denver Students:

  • Must comply with all MSU Denver policies, procedures and deadlines when registering for, withdrawing from or dropping CU Denver pooled courses;

  • May not be placed on a wait list for any CU Denver pooled course; and 

  • Must comply with CU Denver course prerequisites. Prerequisite courses are provided at CU Denver.

CU Denver pooled course titles and grades will appear on the MSU Denver transcript and will count in the GPA and hours toward graduation; however, CU Denver pooled courses will not satisfy academic residence requirements for degrees from MSU Denver. This restriction applies to the residence requirements of the overall degree (30 semester hours minimum), the major (8 upper-division semester hours minimum), and the minor (3 upper-division semester hours minimum). This restriction does not apply to Physics (PHY) courses.  Credit for CU Denver pooled courses will not count towards the 50 resident semester hours required for Honors.

Interinstitutional Registration

Interinstitutional registration applies to MSU Denver students taking courses at the Community College or Denver (CCD) and to CCD students taking courses at MSU Denver. Interinstitutional application deadlines are published in the Academic Calendar . During any semester, a student may not be registered interinstitutionally for more than 50% of the total number of hours carried for that term.

For MSU Denver students:

MSU Denver students may register interinstitutionally for a maximum of 9 credits; however, students may not register for more interinstitutional credits than they are taking at MSU Denver.

MSU Denver students wishing to enroll at CCD must obtain the Interinstitutional Application and registration forms from the Office of the Registrar, Student Success Building, Suite 160 (#3), msudenver.edu/registrar/forms. Students should ensure that the coursework is transferable to MSU Denver by receiving approval from their academic department.

MSU Denver students are restricted from registering for:

  • Certain Colorado Community College (CCC) Online classes at CCD
  • Online or off-campus classes at CCD
  • Remedial classes through the interinstitutional registration process

Interinstitutional courses will not satisfy academic residence requirements for a degree from MSU Denver. The total number of community college credits applicable to a degree from MSU Denver is 64, which includes interinstitutional and transfer credit. Only courses transferable to MSU Denver will apply toward a degree.

For CCD students:

Students from CCD are not eligible to register for online courses or off-campus courses offered at MSU Denver South, including correspondence and tele-courses.

CCD students may not place their names on waitlists for closed classes at MSU Denver.

CCD students are restricted from registering for CU Denver Pooled Courses.

Interinstitutional students enrolled at MSU Denver will be charged all extra fees such as additional class fees, etc.

Community College of Denver (CCD) - Basic Skills Courses

The Community College of Denver offers college Basic Skills Classes available to MSU Denver students needing additional preparation in the area of mathematics.

CCD basic skills courses will not apply toward MSU Denver degree requirements or GPA.

MSU Denver students registering, withdrawing or dropping CCD basic skills courses are expected to comply with all MSU Denver policies and deadlines.

  • Prior to registering for any preparatory CCD classes, students must consult with their MSU Denver academic advisor to determine appropriateness of the class(es). 

  • Students taking CCD courses are required to take the Accuplacer test and to place into the appropriate courses based on their test results. 

  • Classes will be posted on your MSU Denver academic record and will include semester hours and the grade/notation earned. CCD will also post the course, semester hours and grade earned on the CCD academic record.

  • Tuition and fees for these classes will be paid to MSU Denver.

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Transfer credits are accepted under the following guidelines:

  • Credit must have been earned at an institution of higher education holding full regional accreditation unless there is a current Articulation Agreement or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between that institution and MSU Denver on file with the Office of Academic Affairs.
  • MSU Denver accepts up to 64 semester hours from two-year institutions and up to 90 semester hours from four-year institutions or a combination of two-year and four-year institutions. For students in the RN to BSN program, MSU Denver accepts up to 80 semester hours from two-year institutions (see Department of Nursing advisor).
  • Grades earned must be a “C-” or better. Courses with “D,” “F” or similar grades are not transferable. Also, courses graded with C.E.U.s (Continuing Education Units) will not be accepted. A summary of transfer credit from each institution is indicated on the MSU Denver academic record. Neither transfer course grades nor previous grade point averages are indicated or affect the MSU Denver grade point average.
  • Course content must be similar to that of MSU Denver courses.
  • No preparatory, remedial, or developmental courses are applicable toward an MSU Denver degree.
  • MSU Denver will accept all applicable credits earned within ten years of transfer.  Credits earned more than ten years earlier will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.
  • Once transfer credits are evaluated, the total number of these credits applicable to a degree will not be reduced unless the student repeats already-awarded transfer credit at MSU Denver or interrupts MSU Denver enrollment for three or more consecutive semesters and readmits to the University under more restrictive transfer credit evaluation policies.
  • If a student repeats a course, including transferred courses, the credit for only one of the course attempts counts towards degree requirements, with the exception of repeatable courses.
  • In accordance with policies established by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education regarding students transferring between Colorado public institutions, MSU Denver has instituted procedures for resolving transfer credit disputes. Questions regarding these procedures may be directed to the Transfer Services at 303-556-3774.
  • Students who have previously earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university have the following:
    • A transfer credit block of 90 credit hours and senior standing.
    • Satisfaction of MSU Denver’s minimum General Studies requirements.*
  • Students who have earned a Degree with Designation accompanying an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a College public college of university have the following:
    • Guaranteed admission to MSU Denver.
    • Junior standing at MSU Denver, provided all courses included in the degree carry a grade of “C-” or better and, based on the course-by-course evaluation, otherwise meet minimum MSU Denver transfer credit standards.
    • Satisfaction of MSU Denver’s minimum General Studies requirements.*
    • No more than 60 remaining credits to meet the graduation requirements in the corresponding baccalaureate degree program outlined in the DWD agreement.
    • Students may need to complete MSU Denver lower-division requirements.
    • Students may need to complete courses labeled as general studies courses for their specific major, minor, certificate, or University requirement.
  • Students who have earned an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a Colorado public college or university have the following:
    • Guaranteed admission to MSU Denver.
    • Junior standing at MSU Denver, provided all courses included in the degree carry a grade of “C-” or better and, based on the course-by-course evaluation, otherwise meet minimum MSU Denver transfer credit standards.
    • Satisfaction of MSU Denver’s minimum General Studies requirements.*
    • The Bachelor’s degree completed in 60 hours unless additional courses are required for specialized accreditation or licensure as outlined in the Statewide Transfer articulation agreement
    • Students may need to complete MSU Denver lower-division requirements.
    • Students may need to complete courses labeled at general studies courses for their specific major, minor, certificate, or university requirement.
  • Students who have completed the Colorado gtPathways core curriculum from a Colorado public college or university have the following:
    • Satisfaction of MSU Denver’s minimum General Studies requirements.*
    • Students may need to complete MSU Denver lower-division requirements.
    • Students may need to complete courses labeled as general studies courses for their specific major, minor, certificate, or University requirement.
  • Students may need to meet additional university requirements, such as a Multicultural course, Senior Experience, etc.
  • *Metropolitan State University of Denver’s General Studies include the following degree requirements:
    • Written Communication
    • Quantitative Literacy
    • Arts and Humanities
    • Oral Communication
    • Historical
    • Natural and Physical Sciences
    • Social and Behavioral Sciences
    • Global Diversity


The course waitlist is typically an automated function. It may be available from the start of registration through the first week of class, but varies by department. When an opening occurs in a course, the first person on the waitlist will be sent an email authorizing the student to register for the open seat. The email will inform the student how many hours they have to register for the course. This means that:

  1. The student needs to check msudenver.edu email account every day while on a waitlist.
  2. The student needs to check with the department regarding specific waitlist policies.
  3. When a notification is received, the student must register within the designated timeframe. For example, if the student has 24 hours, this means the student has 24 hours from the date and time of the automatically-generated email notice to register for the course. If the student does not register within the time allotted, the student will be automatically dropped from the waitlist.

Once the student is dropped from the waitlist, neither the Office of the Registrar nor the Department will be able to make exceptions for students who do not register for the class within the time period stated in the notification email.



Page Revised June 28, 2021