Mar 30, 2023
Return to: Academic Programs
About the Program
The Health Care Management program has been an icon for excellence in health care management education for over four decades.
The program provides students with course and experiential learning. Coursework includes health care foundations, organization and management, jurisprudence, global health, aging services, and leadership. Combined with other disciplines, such as marketing, information technology, accounting, and economics, the program prepares students for direct entry into management within the health care field, continuation to graduate school, and/or advancement within the health care field.
General Degree Requirements
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the four areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- A total of 120 semester hours are required for graduation.
- A grade of C- or better is required for each course in this program to count toward the bachelor’s degree. Students should note that programs differ in the minimum grade required.
- A minor is optional and not required for this program. Students may also choose to complete the optional concentration if they want.
General Studies Requirements: 33 credits
Students should consult the General Studies Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the General Studies Requirements for degree completion.
- Written Communication (6 credits)
- Oral Communication (3 credits)
- Quantitative Literacy (3 credits)
- Arts and Humanities (6 credits)
- Historical (3 credits)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (6 credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)
- Global Diversity (0 or 3 credits**)
- Recommended: Students in the HCM major are required to take HCM 2010 - Global Health Systems as part of the major requirement and this course will satisfy this requirement.
** Students will fulfill the global diversity requirement by taking an approved course within one of the following categories: arts and humanities; historical; natural and physical sciences; or social and behavioral sciences.
Ethnic Studies & Social Justice Requirement: 0 or 3 credits
- Students should consult the Ethnic Studies & Social Justice Graduation Requirement for a list of courses that fulfill the ESSJ Requirement for degree completion.
- Many programs include courses that meet this requirement. Students should consult with their advisor to determine what program courses may fulfill this requirement.
Required Prerequisites: 13 credits
These are prerequisites for the Health Care Management major courses.
Required Courses: 50 credits
Executive Administrator Concentration (Optional): 16 credits
Optional series of courses designed to prepare students for C-suite and executive roles and thinking.
Senior Experience: 3 credits
Summary of Requirements
|General Studies Requirements
|Required Support Courses
|Optional Executive Administration Concentration
|Total for the Health Care Management Major, B.S.
Required courses for the major may also count for General Studies and ESSJ requirements, so the total credits listed may be greater than the number required to complete the degree. Therefore, it is important that you work with your advisor to make sure you are meeting requirements for your degree.
Return to: Academic Programs