Oct 02, 2023
About the Program
The Bachelor of Arts degree with concentrations in Music offers vigorous study of music alongside a strong liberal arts education, equipping students with versatile skills that are highly valued in the broad spectrum of music-related careers. The Bachelor of Arts degree in Music requires a minor in a secondary area of interest, allowing students to customize their degree according to personal career goals.
- Be able to hear, identify, and work conceptually with the elements of music: rhythm, melody, harmony, and structure, and to be able to sight read music with fluency.
- Understand compositional processes, aesthetic properties of style, and the ways these shape and are shaped by artistic and cultural forces
- Have experienced a wide selection of musical styles, traditions, and compositions from a variety of sources through study, participation, and exposure through live performances.
- Have the technical and artistic ability to perform in areas appropriate to the student’s needs and interests, and to work independently and creatively.
General Degree Requirements
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the four areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- A total of 120 semester hours are required for graduation.
- A grade of C- or better is required for each course in this program to count toward the bachelor’s degree. Students should note that programs differ in the minimum grade required.
- A minor is required for this program.
General Studies Requirements: 33 credits
Students should consult the General Studies Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the General Studies Requirements for degree completion.
- Written Communication (6 credits)
- Oral Communication (3 credits)
- Quantitative Literacy (3 credits)
- Arts and Humanities (6 credits)
- Historical (3 credits)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (6 credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)
- Global Diversity (0 or 3 credits**)
** Students will fulfill the global diversity requirement by taking an approved course within one of the following categories: arts and humanities; historical; natural and physical sciences; or social and behavioral sciences.
Ethnic Studies & Social Justice Requirement: 0 or 3 credits
- Students should consult the Ethnic Studies & Social Justice Graduation Requirement for a list of courses that fulfill the ESSJ Requirement for degree completion.
- Many programs include courses that meet this requirement. Students should consult with their advisor to determine what program courses may fulfill this requirement.
Core Requirements: 32 credits
The following courses are required for all music majors:
Specific Degree Requirements: 11 credits
Ensembles: 6 credits
Students enrolled in private lessons must enroll in the appropriate major ensemble during each semester of individual instruction.
Choose five hours from the following:
- MUS 3828 - Jazz Ensemble Credits: 1
- MUS 3829 - Jazz Combo Credits: 1
For students whose primary instrument is a jazz instrument, the major ensemble is MUS 3828: Jazz Ensemble or MUS 3829: Jazz Chamber Ensemble, as assigned by the Director of Jazz Studies.
- MUS 3820 - Chorale Credits: 1
- MUS 3821 - University Treble Choir Credits: 1
- MUS 3822 - University Basso Choir Credits: 1
For students whose primary instrument is voice, the major ensemble is choir (MUS 3820: Chorale, MUS 3821: University Treble Choir, or MUS 3822: University Basso Choir) as assigned by the Director of Choral Activities.
- MUS 3824 - Symphonic Band Credits: 1
- MUS 3825 - Wind Ensemble Credits: 1
For students whose primary instrument is woodwinds, brass, or percussion, the major ensemble is band (MUS 3825: Wind Ensemble or MUS 3824: Symphonic Band) as assigned by the Director of Band Activities.
- MUS 3817 - String Sinfonietta Credits: 1
- MUS 3827 - Symphony Orchestra Credits: 1
For students whose primary instrument is strings, the major ensemble is orchestra (MUS 3817: String Sinfonietta or MUS 3827: Symphony Orchestra), as assigned by the Director of Orchestral Activities.
- MUS 3830 - Guitar Ensemble Credits: 1
For students whose primary instrument is guitar, the major ensemble is MUS 3830: Guitar Ensemble.
- MUS 3819 - Chamber Music Credits: 1
Ensembles: Primary instrument in Piano and Organ: 6 credits
Senior Experience: 3 credits
Summary of Requirements
|General Studies Requirements
|Specific Degree Requirements
|Ensembles or Ensembles: Primary Instrument in Piano and Organ
|Minor and Unrestricted Electives
|Total for the Music Major, B.A.
Required courses for the major may also count for General Studies and ESSJ requirements, so the total credits listed may be greater than the number required to complete the degree. Therefore, it is important that you work with your advisor to make sure you are meeting requirements for your degree.