Dec 01, 2022
About the Program
The Media Production and Leadership concentration exposes students to a variety of methods for leading others towards implementing technology ethically to better communicate with audiences. Today professional communicators who want to change corporate culture and society using information and entertainment need to rely on a team of technical experts in writing, sound, camera usage, editing and web design to maximize the effectiveness and results of media related projects. The Media Production and Leadership concentration teaches students to actively participate in this growing field and become effective leaders.
- Apply industry standard pre-production, production and post-production processes
- Develop successful strategies for delivering content to an audience
- Analyze ethical and legal considerations in media production
- Define and articulate complex technical details of a media production to a broad audience
- Evaluate media productions for measures of success and areas to improve
General Degree Requirements
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the four areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- A total of 120 semester hours are required for graduation.
- A grade of C- or better is required for each course in this program to count toward the bachelor's degree. Students should note that programs differ in the minimum grade required.
- A minor is required for this program.
General Studies Requirements: 33 credits
Students should consult the General Studies Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the General Studies Requirements for degree completion.
- Written Communication (6 credits)
- Oral Communication (3 credits)
- Quantitative Literacy (3 credits)
- Arts and Humanities (6 credits)
- Historical (3 credits)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (6 credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)
- Global Diversity (0 or 3 credits**)
** Students will fulfill the global diversity requirement by taking an approved course within one of the following categories: arts and humanities; historical; natural and physical sciences; or social and behavioral sciences.
Multicultural Requirement: 0 or 3 credits
- Students should consult the Multicultural Graduation Requirements for a list of courses that fulfill the Multicultural Requirement for degree completion.
- Many programs include courses that meet this requirement. Students should consult with their advisor to determine what program courses may fulfill this requirement.
Department Core: 12 credits
All Journalism and Media Production majors begin with the following courses:
Media Production and Leadership Courses: 24 credits
All Media Production and Leadership majors take the following courses:
Major Electives: 3 credits
Students complete the major with three credit hours of electives. Any course offered by the department is an eligible elective. Please select electives in consultation with an adviser.
Senior Experience: 3 credits
Students finish the degree with the approved Senior Experience course.
Summary of Requirements
|General Studies Requirements
|Minor and Unrestricted Electives
|Total for the Media Production and Leadership Major, B.S.
Required courses for the major may also count for General Studies and Multicultural requirements, so the total credits listed may be greater than the number required to complete the degree. Therefore, it is important that you work with your advisor to make sure you are meeting requirements for your degree.