The College of Business at MSU Denver offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with three concentrations to choose from: Strategic Business, Business Analytics, and Accounting.
Mission of the MSU Denver MBA Program
We transform students into effective business professionals. We do this by providing an accessible, flexible, and high quality MBA education made possible through excellence in teaching, individualized attention, and hands-on experiences, all at an exceptional value.
MBA Program Goals
The goals of the MSU Denver MBA Program support the missions of the University and the College of Business.
Graduates of the MSU Denver MBA Program will develop and demonstrate competence in written, oral, and collaborative communication skills (LG 1 ). MSU Denver MBA graduates will be effective problem solvers with a practical, real-world focused perspective supported by familiarity with decision making models and analytical tools (LG2). Finally, MSU Denver MBA graduates will possess both functional and cross-functional business knowledge reinforced with an appreciation of the ethical and global issues that so profoundly affect contemporary business practice.
In addition to the distinction of being the value leader in the Denver metro area the MSU Denver MBA program is accredited as part of the MSU Denver College of Business's AACSB accreditation. AACSB is world-recognized as the leading accreditor of colleges and schools of business. Less than 5% of all business programs worldwide have earned the prestige of AACSB accreditation.
MBA Program Admission
Applicants who hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university in any discipline may apply. Admission to the program is based on evaluation of the following materials:
- One of the following:
- GMAT score
- Approved professional exam/licensure
- Earned graduate business degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Portfolio documenting at least eight years of significant business and management experience
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Completed application form
- Application fee
All admission decisions will be made by an MBA admissions committee. Most students are advised to gain two or more years of work experience before enrolling in the MBA program given that a key part of the experience comes from learning from and networking with fellow students.
Applicants who do not have either an undergraduate business degree or graduate business degree and have less than eight years of significant business and management experience will be required to successfully complete online leveling modules prior to beginning MBA coursework.
Additional documentation is required. Please visit the International Student Admissions webpage: msudenver.edu/admissions/apply/internationalstudents/
Non-degree Seeking Students
Non-degree seeking students have the option to take up to 9 credit hours of MBA coursework on a space available basis. Non-degree seeking students eligible to enroll in MBA courses include:
- Students with a bachelor's degree (or higher) and from a regionally accredited college or university with a GPA ≥ 3.0;
- Students with a bachelor's degree and approved professional examination or licensure; and
- Students currently admitted to a graduate business program at another regionally accredited college or university.
Non-degree seeking students in the above categories must submit the following:
- Completed graduate application
- Application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended
- If applicable, official proof of successful completion of the professional exam or licensure
- If applicable, proof of admission to a graduate business program at another regionally accredited college or university.
Students currently admitted to another graduate program at Metropolitan State University of Denver may take a limited number of MBA courses to fulfill their degree requirements. Applicants in this category must submit a letter from their dean or academic advisor stating that they are in good academic standing and that the requested business courses will be accepted for their graduate degree program.
If a non-degree seeking student would like to become degree-seeking, the student must apply to become degree-seeking and must have earned an average GPA of 3.0 or above in the MBA program courses they have completed.
Advancement to Candidacy
All students accepted into the Master of Business Administration program must adhere with the following MBA Program academic policies:
- Students in the MBA program must complete the degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. No more than two (2) grades of C-, C, or C+ will count toward the degree requirements, and no grade lower than a C- will count toward the degree. All grade records remain on the master's transcript and count toward the cumulative GPA. A student who receives three (3) grades of less than a B- will be dismissed from the program.
- Students must complete the MBA Capstone (MGTM 6000) with a minimum grade of B-.
- Students may enroll in no more than fifteen (15) credit hours per semester. Students who wish to take over 15 credits are required to seek approval. For more information, please contact the Assistant Director of CBUS graduate programs at 303-556-6895 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Master's students are considered full-time if they are registered for six (6) credit hours, half-time if registered for three (3) credit hours, and less than half-time if registered for two (2) or fewer credit hours.
- Students must complete the master's degree within six (6) calendar years from the semester of initial enrollment.
- Students not enrolled for three (3) consecutive semesters (including summer) must submit a re-admission application. Students requesting re-admission must be in good academic standing and must submit their application for re-admission to the master's program in which they have been enrolled.
- The Student Code of Conduct will apply to all MSU Denver students, regardless of level. Access the Student Code of Conduct .
- MSU Denver's residency requirement for master's programs requires that at least twenty-eight (28) MBA Program credit hours be taken at MSU Denver.
MBA Program Requirements
Students will complete a 1 credit hour MBA program foundation course at the beginning of their program, 27 hours of required MBA Core courses, and a 9 credit hour area of concentration. An MBA concentration is comprised of at least 9 credit hours in a particular discipline, allowing students to develop more in-depth expertise. The overall MBA program requires a minimum total requirement of 37 credit hours.