May 14, 2021
Level I Requirements:
Composition, Mathematics and Communication
General Studies Level I Prerequisites:
Students must have a passing score on the appropriate placement test before they will be allowed to register for Level I General Studies courses.
Students who require remediation based on placement tests must complete all relevant remedial courses with a grade of “C” or better prior to enrolling in the associated Level I General Studies courses (e.g. Math remedial courses must be completed prior to enrolling in a Math Level I General Studies course). Students should consult an advisor in the Advising Center for guidance in selecting the appropriate remedial course or courses, as applicable. Students are reminded that remedial courses do not count toward a Metro State degree.
General Studies Level I Policy:
Students must complete Level I General Studies courses within the first 30 total semester hours, with the exception of English 1020, which must be completed within the first 60 total semester hours, including those credit hours completed at Metro State and those transferred from another institution. Students who do not complete Level I General Studies courses within the first 30 semester hours will have limited or no options for continuing registration and will likely delay graduation. Students must progress toward completion of Level I General Studies requirements, and those who have not completed these requirements will receive a hold on their registration. Students who receive the hold are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor to review the policy and register for the required courses. Students who complete between 30 and 45 credit hours and have not completed this requirement will be officially reminded via email of their status with regard to this policy. Students who complete 60 credit hours and have not completed Level I General Studies will be disenrolled.
Composition Required Courses:
(minimum 6 semester hours)
“GT-” in the course description indicates a State Guaranteed general education course.
Rules: Composition Requirement
- Those students whose writing skills are inadequate will be required to complete developmental coursework in composition before enrolling in English 1010.
- Students must complete the Level I Composition requirement within their first 30 credit hours at Metro State.
- Required English composition courses shall be at the freshman level.
- Students shall be considered to have satisfied the Level I English course requirement and credit will be granted if they:
- receive a qualifying score on an AP test approved by the Department of English, or
- 1) receive a qualifying score on the College Composition CLEP test, which counts for ENG 1010, and 2) pass ENG 1020.
- To receive credit for ENG 1010 or ENG 1020, the student must receive a grade of "C" or better.
- To receive transfer credit for ENG 1020, the course must have been taken within the past 10 years.
Mathematics (minimum 3 semester hours):
Rules: Mathematics Requirement
- Students will take a preassessment placement test to determine their abilities to solve elementary algebra problems and to know and use elementary geometrical formulas. Those students whose skills are inadequate will be required to complete developmental mathematics coursework before enrolling in any mathematics course. Students should be aware that developmental courses are not taught at Metro State and no transfer credit will be given for such coursework.
- Students must complete the Level I Mathematics requirement within their first 30 credit hours at Metro State.
- Students shall be considered to have satisfied the Level I Mathematics course requirement and credit will be granted if they:
- pass a mathematics course that has been approved for Level I Mathematics credit (see courses listed above), or
- pass a CLEP or AP examination approved by the Mathematical and Computer Sciences Department, or
- successfully complete a mathematics course for which a Level I Mathematics course is a prerequisite, or
- transfer an equivalent course, or
- complete a mathematics major or minor.
*A transfer course or courses judged to be similar in skill development and content to a Level I course will satisfy an individual Level I course requirement. Equivalency is determined by the department offering the Level I course.
Communications (minimum 3 semester hours)*:
*pass or transfer an advanced foreign language course that is taught in the foreign language and that has Metro State's FRE 1020, GER 1020, and SPA 1020 or equivalent course work, or a more advanced course as a prerequisite.
Rules: Communications Requirement
- Students must complete the required Level I Communications course within their first 30 credit hours at Metro State.
- Students shall be considered to have satisfied the Level I Communications course requirement and credit will be granted if they:
- pass an approved Level I Communications course, or
- pass a departmental test or a CLEP or AP test approved by a department offering an approved Level I Communications course, or
- transfer an equivalent course, or
- pass or transfer an advanced public speaking course for which Metro State’s SPE 1010 or a comparable course is a prerequisite, or
- transfer a second semester, four or five semester hour foreign language course or a more advanced language course that is taught in a language not offered at Metro State, or
- pass or transfer an advanced foreign language course that is taught in the foreign language and that has Metro State’s FRE 1020, GER 1020, and SPA 1010 or equivalent course work, or more advanced course as a prerequisite.
Students who have satisfied the communications requirement using the advanced foreign language course or the advanced public speaking course must place that course in the Level I Communications requirement slot. Level II General Studies courses used to satisfy the Level I Communications requirements cannot also be counted in the Level II category.